| 0 comments ]

As religious readers of my blog know (and there are, at best, three of them), I've been marketing consumer driven health plans for years -- way too many to count.

One of the key reasons why people should opt OUT of co-pay plans and opt INTO a high deductible plan is that if everyone did it, the cost of health care would drop by a country mile, almost overnight. Why? Because people would take responsibility!

I took my old beat up Honda (I luv that car, don't get me wrong) to the Honda "dealer" recently for an overpriced oil change. While there, I asked about a replacement strip of weather stripping for my door. They wanted $80 for a $2.00 piece of rubber!

I also needed to replace two radiator hoses. The dealer wanted $340. I took the car to a radiator shop. They wanted $80. Where do you think I ended up getting the work done?

But does anyone ever question the price of services at the doctor? Or the emergency room of all places?

Why should they, when someone else is paying the bill?

Here's a great article from the Dallas Morning News. Learn how one lady saved a few thousand dollars just by asking a few questions before her daughter had "emergency" surgery in the ER. Learn how some other people cut the cost of a migraine medication Rx from almost $29 PER PILL to $3.66 per pill.

Moral of the story: Be a better consumer!

0 comments

Post a Comment